Thursday 25 August 2011

Hand Winding a Skein of Wool Tip

Here's a handy tip if you have to wind a skein of wool by hand and like me, you don't own a fancy ball winder. When you wind the ball of wool in your hand make sure you wind over your fingers instead of just winding around and around into a tight ball.  It makes the ball of wool softer and squishier and avoids stretching the fibres.


I also sit on my chair in the lounge, feet up on a stool with the skein wrapped around my knees and I find that position for me avoids nasty tangles and knots. Strangely I do remember my mum have me hold out my hands to hold skeins of wool for her when I was a child and can recall how much it made my arms ache! I remember dipping my arms from side to side to help her wind the wool off my hands. Oddly enough I don't really remember her knitting anything!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment