Monday 15 August 2011

Muffins!

I decided to have a go at making muffins.  After having a browse on the net for suitable recipes I sort of half followed one, adding or subtracting as I saw fit for a blueberry muffin recipe. I'm not very good at following recipes.  I couldn't see the point in adding oil and melted butter.  I only had self raising flour so I used that and added a little extra baking powder and put in a whole egg instead of just the white the recipe called for. I also used frozen blueberries instead of fresh. They turned out beautifully, a surprise really as I'd chopped and changed the recipe...

Then I decided to have a go at double chocolate chip, using the same basic recipe with my changes...


I mixed all the wet ingredients together, all the dry in a separate bowl then combined the two together. Urgh!  It was stiff and dry!  I assumed I must have weighed out too much flour so to compensate I added an extra egg and some more milk (goats lol) and the consistency was better but now I worried I'd overworked the batter.  My eldest daughter helped me to spoon it into the cases which was fun, then I got a little mixture on my finger and couldn't resist tasting it. Double URGH! I'd forgotten the sugar! Following some drastic scrapping the mixture back into the bowl out of the paper cases and adding the forgotten sugar we tried again....

This is never going to work I thought, not with all the messing around with the ingredients and the overworking of the whole thing. Do you know what though? They were gorgeous!  Even Daddy had one (I think he forgot there might have been goats milk in there...) and he thoroughly enjoyed his too! Just goes to show that you can wing it and still get great results!


2 comments:

  1. They look yummy, Suzy :) Shame you live so far away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very yummy Sue! And just to prove I could mess up this recipe even more we made another batch of blueberry and I was 100g short of flour so made it up with spelt flour and some bread mix flour and it still worked! Must buy more flour today lol.

    ReplyDelete