Thursday 10 October 2013

Lengthening Girls Jeans

Years ago when my eldest daughter was a little tot I bought her a pair of jeans.  They were ridiculously cheap, just £2 and I embellished them with an iron on Hello Kitty patch.  Years later and her little sister has been wearing them.  They've washed and worn well all these years!  Only problem was the fact they were getting just a tad too short for her but still fit perfectly in the waist.  I didn't want to give up on those bargain jeans just yet so I decided to add a little crochet border to the bottom.

First of all I did blanket stitch by hand around the edges of the trouser bottoms using some strong thread so I would have something to start my crochet edge with.  I had some remnants of DK bamboo cotton yarn so I decided to use this for the actual crochet part.
Using a 3mm hook, I did a round double crochet (single US) of blue through the blanket stitch loops then two more rounds of double crochet in cream and pink before doing another in blue.  I then did little fans by missing a stitch, doing 5 treble crochet stitches into the next, missing a stitch then slip stitching into the next stitch all the way around for the edge.  My little girl was absolutely delighted with them when she saw them this morning and insisted on wearing them today :-)

Obviously to increase the length it would be easy to just do a few more rounds before doing the final round of fan stitches.  I think I will definitely be doing this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment