Thursday 30 June 2011

Upcycled Baby Dress

I had a rather large top I wore last year whilst I was expecting my youngest daughter so I decided to turn it into a dress for her.  I didn't have a pattern so I just took one of her bought dresses so I could work out the correct shape for the top then decided I would have little tabs with buttons on the shoulders for ease of putting it on and taking it off.  I made the buttonholes by hand.  My sewing machine is quite basic and although it can make buttonholes its not a one step process and after unpicking the mess I made twice I didn't want to risk ruining the dress!

I used an old t-shirt for lining the top part of the dress and then added a gathered skirt, enclosing all the rough edges.  I used the ties that were originally attached to the back neck edge of the dress at the sides so I could cinch it in at my little girls waist and cut the skirt along the original bottom of the top so I wouldn't have to hem it.  I think the size is roughly 6-12 months.

Now all we need is a bit of sunny weather so she can sport her new dress!

 


Here are just a few of the pictures I took along the way. Unfortunately I forgot to take a picture of the top before I chopped it up!
Gathering the skirt ready to attach to the top.

I attached it to the lining part first then top stitched the front of the top over the gathered bottom to enclose all the rough edges.  It was fiddly but well worth it.

The pattern I made for the top.

The crease is where I folded it over to cut the front of the dress. I later rounded the corners of the front as I thought it looked a bit odd square.

I must say I'm rather pleased with the results, especially as its the first time I've made my own pattern.

3 comments:

  1. A great bit of upcycling, Su2y! Hope you show us a piccy of A. wearing it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you look closely at my profile picture you will see I am wearing the same large top in all its glory. xx

    ReplyDelete